Five Ways To Make A Move Easier
While it might be rash to try to claim that moving can be easy, it certainly doesn’t need to be as hard as it’s cracked up to be. Whenever words gets out that a move is afoot, all of a sudden it’s impossible to breathe without bumping into someone just dying to tell you how awful the whole experience is. They’ll burden your ears with tales of woe, strife, anguish and nervous breakdowns. Your heart sinks with every word these naysayers utter. Apparently, they tell you, moving is as bad as bereavement and divorce. This is all so much nonsense. Moving house can be a time of dreams, of happy optimism, of new beginnings and wonderful fresh starts. So don’t let the moaners and groaners bring you down. In any case, we’ve got some tips to help you have a pleasant move. And there’s plenty more where they came from, so check back here for further instalments in the near future. But for now, let’s look at a five ways you can get from A to B with all your possessions and your sanity intact.
- Cords, wires, plugs and sockets. A modern move always includes domestic IT relocation. Along with your internet/computer setup, you may have entertainment systems of many kinds. Shave hours off your moving time by labelling all your electric cords before you dismantle everything. Clear labelling will mean easy setting up at your destination point.
- Lights, camera, action! Use photography to speed your move up a little (or a lot). Before you move into your new home, snap away at corners, cupboards, recesses and alcoves. As you peruse the images, you’ll get clear ideas about where everything is going to go when you unpack. Less dithering will occur and you’ll be settled sooner.
- Be a wardrobe wizard! Instead of taking all your garments off their hangers and folding them up into boxes, just slip bin-liners (or dry-cleaner bags, if you have them) over the hangers, leaving the clothes as they are. This makes not only for quicker packing, but also faster unpacking.
- DIY box handles! There’s a variety of ways you can customise your cardboard boxes so that they have easy-to-use handles. Just do a YouTube search and you’ll find a choice of easily followable clips to show you how. Unloading at your new home will be so much easier.
- Declutter! It can’t be said enough, a good clear-out makes a world of difference to the efficiency of your move. You’ll be surprised by how much stuff you’ve accumulated that no longer serves any need. Packing’s going to be quicker and lighter once you’ve taken loads of stuff to the charity shop or car-boot sale.